Wednesday, January 18, 2012
15 minutes
I've got fifteen minutes to kill while waiting for the teacher to show up, so I figured, why not add a post? When you've got a minute here and a minute there, you start to wonder what to do with all those minutes. Sometimes we sit down, sometimes we think, we might even call someone that we haven't talked to in a while just to let them know we're thinking about them. We devote a large portion of our time to countless tasks and activities. I've mentioned this before I'm sure, but if you think about the average American getting eight hours of sleep a night, that's one third of your day. (College students are exempt from this study.) That means that you spend one third of your life not awake. By the time you are sixty years old, you have spent, on average, twenty of those years not even able to enjoy it! I could argue; however, that some people would rather spend time asleep than awake. I proudly raise my hand in association with the fore mention! Now, with that said, I want you to think how much time you spend waiting. How much time do you spend waiting for a bus, waiting for a friend to call, waiting for a job interview, waiting for something good to come on T.V., and even just waiting for the rain to stop? I think we can assume that we spend a lot of time waiting, and truth be told, unlike sleeping, waiting isn't fun!! No one really enjoys waiting, and if you do, I pity you. Waiting puts so much stress, so much anxiety, and so much discomfort in our lives, so how do we stop waiting? That, my friends, is the million dollar question. So maybe we should analyze why we wait. We wait because not everything goes according to our time, because not everyone can be in one place at one time, because the stupid bus system is so screwed up that we are certain the government is out to get us and make us late for everything, and we wait because it's the polite thing to do. Amazing what we wait for, it's almost like we are in a constant waiting line. So now that we know all the things we wait for, we have to categorize all the things worth waiting for, because that's why we wait. We wait because it's worth the wait. I've never seen anyone wait in a line because they enjoy waiting. (Like I said before, if you do, plentiful pity I shower on you.) People wait because their hopes make them wait. The idea that what they are waiting for is going to make them happy! To support this, think about pizza, amusement parks, attractive dates, the newest James Bond flick, all these things are worth waiting for, and you usually do have to wait for them! (Unless you eat little caesar's, in which case, again, endless pity) Since we got that settled, I want you to think of all the people waiting on you. Kind of strange to think about huh? You're probably thinking "Wait, what?! I make people WAIT!?" Well of COURSE you do! We all have made people wait for us. Sometimes they wait for our attention, sometimes they wait for our approval, sometimes they wait for our reciprocation, and more often than not, they're just waiting for you to get in the car. So with this said, think about the people waiting on you, are you going to be worth the wait? Don't make people wait if they aren't going to be happy with what they are waiting for, it's just another way to crush someone's dreams. Waiting teaches us so many important things, but waiting for something that isn't going to come is just wasting time. Don't keep people waiting if you don't have to, life can be busy at times, but they are so less the busy when everyone is making time for someone else. You don't have to wait for everything, but when you do, make sure it's worth the wait. And now I'm just waiting for my philosophy in a tea cup to cool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment