Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Simplicity

Simple; easy to understand, deal with, use, not elaborate or artificial. Deep inside everyone is a desire for something simple. We don't always crave the complicated and awe-inspiring moments that make stories interesting, lives exhilarating, and moments unforgettable, sometimes it's better to be simple. There are only seconds between the ideal and the necessary. Someone can spend years of their lives looking for that something spectacular, only to find themselves disappointed, yet by small and simple things do great things come to pass. We expect ourselves to be somewhere wrapped in the vast chasm of exciting and extraordinary, but there will come a day when you just want things to be simple. A simple kiss, a simple nap, a simple job, a simple house, a simple moment to yourself. A society can tell us so often what our life should consist of, and what is noteworthy, yet think about the idea of simply good, kind, sweet, loving, pretty. We leave these words in the dust because we don't find the meaning they bring. If only we could love the moments that face us as they are and embrace with a deep and reverent respect for all the simple things that there are. We watch our childhood slip away and sound those longing words because things when simple then. Time is forcing us into the extraordinary so quickly that we forget how important a good friend, a kind relative, a pretty lover, and a modest living can be. We lose sight of them and they disappear. Now we are left with these loud and consuming voices of what we need to need. It isn't enough anymore to be content. "Don't be content!" they shout "For only fifteen years of your life you can get 50% more!" I'm a long time advocate of the idea that one should never settle, but that doesn't mean that we all have the same concept of settle, after all, do we really want 50% more?. Settle can mean to be fixed in one position, to be satisfied, to come to an arrangement, and I don't believe that we should look at life as something that should stop moving, but if you see life as an adventure, and you want to grow with something simple, that is your right. It is in ourselves to decide what we want. Being okay with simple is not a way of losing yourself, it is finding the humility to realize that you are not someone else, that you don't need what others need, and you have a strong enough sense of self that you can find happiness without the streamers and bows. "I prefer..." should be our creed. In each of us is the inherent want to want something. Simple does not mean that it is boring, trite, routine, or normal, it only implies the lack of complication. Things don't need to be complicated. Something lovely can be so simple if only we give it a chance. When we are kids we want that castle in the clouds with that horse that can fly, and we believe that anything less is giving up on our dreams. You have to ask yourself the question, did I want that because I was told it is the best, or did I want it because I knew I couldn't be happy without it? If you can't be happy without it, then go, find that castle, get your horse, and marry into royalty, but I'm in love with simple. I love everything about simple. It's the simple things that make life amazing. I think of all the simple things, a touch, a taste, a talk, a tree, they get so overlooked, so underrated, and yet they are my treasures. I can't imagine life without the simple things. Keep your sparkles and your lights, I'll keep my blue skies and long nights. You can find simple, and sometimes simple can find you, but these ideas of spectacular, grand, exotic, they just keep growing like a wildfire, spreading with no sign of stopping, destroying anything simple or sacred in their path. It won't stop, because it is endless, the next best thing is always better than what you have. Leave us alone, I say. They have no right to keep me aiming for a moving target, I want something true, tangible, honest, and simple. It's out there, among the loud circus of more, and it waits for me, because I'm going to love it, and there is nothing more that simple loves than something that loves simple. It really is that simple. Look for what you really want, and be happy with it. Simple is waiting. That's my simple cup of philosophy.

No comments: