Sunday, January 25, 2009

Something beyond ourselves

I could have sworn I saw the makings of a spring day just yesterday. The rain was falling, the roads were wet, and then suddenly, like a message from a loved one, the sun appears, bringing a warmth and glow that you only know from your memories. It breaks through the clouds like a door swinging open to a whole new world of possibilities. You really can't help but smile. It's as natural as sleeping in. The fact is, we really have so much to look forward to. I feel so old when I say this, but I am over joyed when I think of the phenomenal lives my friends will someday lead. There will be loves, losses, children, parents, in laws, parties, birthdays, graduations, and everything in between. Life is moments building upon moments. I have no right at this time to look for someone to share these moments with, but someday I will find someone, someone that becomes the ice cream with the cherries, the basis of all the moments enriched by the connection we can feel between two people. Because the truth is, I haven't found them yet, or better yet, I haven't truly found them or myself yet. They say that you can never truly know someone until you know yourself. I've got an awful lot of growing up to do. And those around me will have these same chances to grow as well. We may not be kids forever, but we can always be happy. Finding it is just a matter of looking. We never find what we don't want to look for. It is best to view every moment of your childhood as a fleeting moment to be cherished, but never coveted. I think the reason man has never invented time travel is because everything in life has a place. White gloves don't belong in red dye. Both have their place and their purpose, but the past belongs in the past, we belong in the present, and our dreams belong in the future. Our past is like the shadow, always with us and a part of us, following us down every byway. But when we focus too much on the shadow, we miss what's ahead. I would say that desires too early in life are little wastes of time waiting to happen. As a result of our uninterested minds in the things beyond ourselves our guardian angels reside. Whether metaphorically or realistically they are there. A constant force working for our betterment. Pushing us towards not what we want, but always what we need. Often times our lives seem troublesome and full of grief, seldom a moments peace, but then the storm subsides, we learn that fighting a hurricane is fruitless, but flowing in the tide will take us to lands unimagined. Blessings in disguise we call them. Naturally as humans we have set in our minds how life should unfold, how things should go. How then do we expect a Gods reward when we are unable to take the path required to achieve it? Too often we refuse to look beyond our own perception and we let our natural feelings take over what is actually necessary to achieve something beyond ourselves. When all the masks are stripped away and the metaphors revealed to the unknowing, it really comes down to one thing. We Do Not Want To Be Human. We don't, we've known it forever, we want something more, perhaps we DESERVE something more. So how then do we expect to be something more if we refuse to see, act, believe, attempt something more. If we act as a carnal man, we will remain a carnal man, higher functions will be all too far beyond our reach, but, if we were to rise above our expectations as a parasitic species, then perhaps we would attain a knowledge envied by the stars. Makes you think, doesn't it? And this is my peculiar philosophy in a tea cup.

No comments: