Only heaven
knows why I’m awake at 2:19 in the
morning, what’s worse I’m watching television. I guess when you have insomnia
and time, you can’t really find something else to do. The ads for body workouts
and singles dating networks are almost as painful as the terrible sitcoms
playing reruns of shows that never made it past the first season. As I begin to
focus on my typing, the tv turns off, and the sounds of the early morning begin
to hum. This is when I notice. It doesn’t happen always, but once every now and
again, when I have time to think about it, I get this strange pit in my
stomach, and an aching to have someone next to me. I guess this would explain
the dating services and workout programs. People will do anything to not be
alone. I heard a recent study that a person without social interaction, being
left alone, will suffer the same death ratio as someone that smokes 15
cigarettes a day. This is a statistic I not only find disturbing, but also
somewhat painful. A life alone is death
waiting to happen. I suppose that between all the rushing and fast paced living
we have, even the independent must find themselves with someone. Sometimes when
I look up at the ceiling and stare off into a cosmic void of tope paint and
shadow corners, I wonder what it would be like to have someone. I can’t imagine
what it must be like, never wondering who you’re going to be with tomorrow, who
you’re going to share your next meal with, your next night with, your next kiss
with. You know because you chose them and they chose you. Maybe it was luck of
the draw, maybe it was fate, or maybe it was darwin’s survival of the fittest,
but be that as it may, you are no longer alone. Millions of worries that every
average human being faces have all suddenly disappeared with that single
assuring truth. What would we really be willing to do to prohibit this feeling
of empty seclusion? I suppose we all have our talents keeping us from being
alone. Some are blessed with good looks, others with a shining personality, and
the blessed few with both, but yet there are other things that can keep us from
being alone. Some people are good actors. They can be what they want to be,
convince people of what they want interpreted, and manipulate others into
believing whatever their selfish desires may demand. I was a good performer. I
could be anything, I could play a part like it was second nature to me. I was
never alone, and I always had company to keep me from realizing what I truly
was. But there comes a time when you grow old. I, of course, am by no stretch
of the imagination old, but I am experiencing a sort of “tired maturity.” I no
longer enjoy playing games, I don’t want to have to trick people, and I’m tired
of acting to get what I want. I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that I
appreciate something real. I don’t understand our current predicament of
strutting our feathers like an underappreciated peacock, pleading for an
attentive eye, doing whatever we may to get that one minute of spotlight.
Perhaps when you’ve seen so much in your life you can’t help but believe that
there has to be a way that doesn’t drain ones faculties so much. Isn’t there a
way to be honest with our fellow humans? A way to say what we feel and have the
freedom to not retreat from an inner inclination but to do what we feel is
right for us personally? Maybe I dream too much, maybe there is a strange
egotism clouding our idea of doing what we want. We may at times disregard what
we want simply because we want it. I doubt there is anyone on this earth that would
not give up everything to be with the one they could love for eons into
eternity, but in doing so, ironies paradoxical hand holds us as we realize that
the more we give up, the further we become from what we want. I speak nothing
of material good, to hades with those, I say. When I refer to giving up
everything I speak of who we are in our very fabric. Our whimsical laugh, our
half cocked smile, and our sense of humor that we feel others would never
understand, and yet, amongst all the people we know, shouldn’t we still be
looking for that “someone”? Surely when fate had created this whole scheme we
call life, there was a failsafe to help us along the way, showing us who and
what is important. Why then would we ruin that failsafe by changing our fundamental
structure? We are not meant to be alone. We will not be alone if we truly don’t
want to be. It is in our every pigment, cell, and atom, that we are not to be
alone. Yet how often do we communicate what we want? Only the bold find
themselves being outspoken and voicing what they want in such a brash manner.
The silent envy them, staring on from the corners speaking “if onlys” under
their breath, not realizing that standing next to them is someone with hopes,
dreams, ambitions, and desire. Often times the lovely dames of our generation
feel such a strong obligation to be pretty that they lose themselves believing
that no one could love them for who they are, and yet the young lads are
looking for someone that believes in themselves. The young men pine for a woman
that doesn’t seem immediate and yet all the women are searching for that one
man that will take charge of his fate and make his own path. If only we as a
species could relearn how to communicate. It was what made us different from
the animals, our ability to let others know how we felt. Now we devolve into a
hollow shell of what was once the greatest creation to walk the earth. Perhaps
this is why I still write, the ability to say that at least I tried to help
others understand that there is so much more beyond their own thought process,
while on the other hand, helping the few realize that they are simply few, but
not extinct. We have potential to open channels, the ability to create a link
between humans. Don’t waste a thought thinking that someone’s life is easier
than your own, because we all face difficulties. The ones that seem happy are
simply strong, determined, and experienced in hardship. If only you would pay
attention, you could see how hard it is for those people to live how they do.
I’ve seen it in the eyes of so many a young people, burdens of the world
weighing down on their shoulders as they convince themselves that this is
“fair.” They have long ago taken the good with the bad, realizing that
perfection is an illusion for philosophy, and that with all things is there a
yin and yang. Yet asking is the first step to receiving an answer. Don’t ever
be afraid to ask. Liars will lie, but truth tellers will break the chains of malice. An early morning philosophy in a tea cup.
No comments:
Post a Comment