Tuesday, March 10, 2009
You said you wanted revolution
Why do we demand change? What is it that makes us think that we need to change the world, save it, conserve it, change it to make it better? If I were God I would frankly be a little upset, like someone saying that starry night is pretty and all, but it needs some modifications to fit my needs. This place is beautiful, just look around, all the intricate details, the attention that even we humans have, the ripples of water, the rips and marks in a tree, all these things that were so beautiful and yet we have to change it. We think we NEED to change it. Every part of life has changed from how it was. We've almost even changed the rules, what we need to live has changed, what we need to be happy has changed, what we need to love has changed. Things have strayed so far from formula, it's no wonder so few people are happy now. I would like to take this opportunity to ask people to try and change the world. It isn't hard really, so long as there is enough of us. It can't be done alone and it needs a lot of participation. All that one has to do is make the right thing cool. Make taking walks on the mountains cool, make swimming in the lake cool, make climbing a tree cool, make the simple things that make this world so wonderful something to be enjoyed. I use the story of the three vinegar tasters. If you don't know this story look it up, or read "The Tao of Pooh" an amazing book by Benjamin Hoff. People in our generation would like to believe that everything is bad, but it's going to get better, that happiness is something that comes when you reach the pinnacle of your life and that everything on this planet is a waste of time until you've reached a high level of happiness. "I'll be happy when I'm out of college. I'll be happy when I'm married. I'll be happy when I have a better job. I'll be happy when I have a house." All of these "I'll be happy when..." Statements are absolutely FALSE. You can be happy now when you LET yourself become happy! Stop looking for the impossible and become happy with the possible! You'll find that when you stop looking for what isn't going to come, you just might find what you were looking for all the time. I know this may sound strange, but I'm asking you to lower your standards, at least in some areas. ALWAYS look for someone that makes you feel happy, someone that doesn't hurt you, but DO NOT keep looking for someone that "turns you on" or "pushes the right buttons." These are NOT noble goals! When you look at a tree, you think to yourself, "this is a good tree" not "well this tree could be a little more straight and a little more brown with not so many leaves." Stop trying to fix people and learn to accept the beauty that they already have! And if you don't like trees then DON'T SETTLE ON A TREE! Just because you have the best of SOME area, doesn't mean it's the area you're looking for. Having the most beautiful flower won't mean anything if you DON'T LIKE FLOWERS! I personally would rather have the smallest lake than the biggest ocean. Know what you're looking for and stop falling in love with someone else's best. No longer using metaphors, I would say this, Don't fall in love with the greatest jock/cheerleader if you're into artists! There is nothing wrong with liking the jock/cheerleader and there's nothing amazing about the artists, BUT!! If you're given the opportunity between the greatest of one and the least of the other, CHOOSE THE ONE THAT YOU WANT TO BE WITH! Not the one that everyone else will be envious of. In the end I PROMISE that things will work out better. I'm not telling you to marry a project, in fact, QUITE the opposite, be with someone that you know you won't have to fix. But remember, Sometimes the greatest flowers tend to bloom a little later. This is my initial philosophy in a tea cup.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment