Thursday, December 11, 2008

Part of your world?

It was the strangest thing today. I went back to my old high school and never realized just how dull a place it really is. I went to pick up a CD from my high school director and chat about my new show, etc. and the second I walked in the building I felt the dread I knew so well consume every inch of my now freed body. The truth is, high school really is a prison. You're there to learn character skills and social capabilities, not math, science or history. High school has become a place where imagination and free thought go to die. I realized this when I was in my mathematics class this last semester. One of the students was continuously talking to another student with an extremely relevant conversation, finally, the conversation ended and they both had a greater comprehension of the course material. I believe that it is the best way to learn, from another person that is still learning. There is a way that gets lost to teachers, a way of teaching the way that people learn. Instead teachers believe that they are there to pour out their infinite knowledge into the tiny container that is the human mind. This gets lost in the high school halls. I think we can deal with the smelly halls, the constant drama, the wretched food, and the incessant nagging, but once you've taken away someone's right to learn for themselves, you've defeated the purpose of schooling. The best way I would describe a high school student is, a good sport. Willing to play by the rules despite the fact that they are of no relevant importance to anyone, willing to learn and remain seated and respectable for hours at a time but still silent and ignore confrontational impulses, high school students have become the perfect machine. Not all high schoolers are like this, but the ones that decide to rebel know that it's the right thing but are uncertain as to how to instigate in the correct manner. I've also found myself losing a large amount of respect for those who in fact go with the flow of high school. Never questioning the motives of those around you and always doing what you are told doesn't breed an outstanding person, it simply breeds fear and submission to a system that no one understands. I liken it to the right to vote, just because they can, doesn't mean they will. Someday it may come down to the fact that because they believe their opinion doesn't matter they will stop voicing it and eventually even this "Real World" will become only a high school on a much larger scale. Feel free to stir up some emotion, find the need to agitate a teacher, look for reasons disagree, otherwise we all become the laughing working marionette of industries stage. Act 1 Scene 1, the coward enters. And that's my corporate philosophy in a tea cup.

No comments: