Monday, December 15, 2008

Until I sink to the bottom

There's a song called "Going Missing" with lyrics "I sleep with my hands across my chest and I dream of you with someone else." One of my favorite songs and one of my favorite lyrical pieces I've heard. The truth is I feel that way so often, like sometimes it's just better to imagine someone you love with someone else and let them go find their own happiness. Dreams filled with happiness even if it isn't your own are still good dreams right? People have famous sayings such as, "You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet" or "Sacrifices must be made." Think about that as giving up the one thing you've ever really wanted and the ability to give it up for something more important. When I was a child I caught frogs, brought them home, and cared for them in one of my old fish tanks or jars. I thought the frogs were fascinating and although they seemed like my property I knew someday I would have to give them up. I don't see that much of a difference in the way we treat other people. Despite the fact that I have no comprehension of parenting it seems that you can only teach children what they need to know and let them go to make their own dreams, mistakes, and altogether choices. It's not something I like doing, letting people go, but it's absolutely necessary. I will however talk about something I do know about, letting lovers go.
I've met all types of people, skinny, fat, short, tall, ugly, beautiful, smart, stupid, kind, cruel, and they have all made something special of my life. I've met people I couldn't get away from, and some that I didn't want to get away from. But in all experience I have learned that no matter how much you care for someone, when the time comes you will have to let them go. It was single handed the hardest thing I've ever had to do and by no means rewarding, but over time I learned that it's not the easy thing, but the right thing. I've had to learn for myself that it's better to be alone and miserable, than with someone else that can't find happiness with you. I knew that I was capable of love when I gave up the one thing I wanted more than anything else to another. When the needs of the one you love far exceed yours, don't fret, you're on the way to true happiness. And although the storms rage and the winds blow and loneliness is the only thing you can call your own, remember that you've made the right choice and when all of this is over love can only build off of itself. And that's my letting go philosophy in a tea cup.

1 comment:

Kady (Ca-dee) said...

soooo i kinda sorta miss you :)