Saturday, February 21, 2009
You who don't know work
As the sun closes on another day, I realize just what has been bugging me these past few weeks. They say the every generation has something important they have to face, a turning point in the evolution of man, if you will. From the Great Depression and World War II, all the way back to Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. I may have found what our generation is missing, at least, what my generation is missing. Things have lost their meaning. It seems that the once important things in life, the things to strive for, to become, have all turned into fancies that everyone should enjoy. A hug no longer is a hug, a kiss isn't a kiss, night under the stars lose their flavor, days holding hands through the glorious days we're given suddenly become so heartless. What happened? I don't think I need to state the fact that I too am guilty of such crimes. Turning something that was once with meaning into a simple activity you do for "fun". Yes, everyone loves to feel loved, but the point is to not taint that love. How can someone live in a world where kisses are cold, where hugs are empty, and where love becomes a punctuation. My people expect everything to come to them when they want it. Why can't I find love? Why am I single? Why can't I get married? Why is life so hard? They've all been fooled into thinking that there was some kind of shortcut. A magic entrance into happiness that someone found a while ago and now wants to share with everyone. Truth be told, someone has found a way to be truly happy. Someone has found true love. But they will tell as anyone else who has also reached their goals, that the only way for it to be real, for it to last beyond the ages of stars, is to spend your entire existence looking for it. Nothing worth having is easy to obtain. The struggle, the trial, the adventure is what makes the reward so sweet. A man given land and a house will only have land and a house. But the man that builds his house and works his lands will be given a home and his freedom. Earn it to own it, they say. And so we should. We should know that everything will not work out the way we hoped it to, but it will work out the way we need it to, with patience, constant care, and a never ending effort to keep what we have earned, nothing will stop us from reaching what has always really mattered to us. Seven years he worked, and seven more, and earned his love, and kept it. This is my never failing philosophy in a tea cup.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment