Friday, February 27, 2009

Back to basics

There is something so thrilling about swing dance. I really couldn't put my finger on it, but I just got done doing it for a little over two hours straight. I've gotten a lot more endurance too, I can swing that long and it really makes me impressed with myself. That isn't really hard, but I will take what I can get. Today I would like to talk about always learning something new. Life can be so much fun when you have ridiculous hobbies like repelling, origami, knitting, or in my case swing. I've always had so much fun doing swing and it has become the drug that I live for. Tonight was the first night that I was actually able to do real swing. I didn't know any of the real steps that went along with swing so I would originally just command my partner to do whatever I felt like doing. I relate this to the rest of life. It's wonderful to know all the great and complicated things that this world has to offer, but until you understand the basics, everything else losing meaning. It's so easy to want to do something amazing right off the bat, but when you learn the basic rules, everything falls into place. Whenever you find yourself confused with life, just look back and see what rules you were following and which ones you chose to ignore. They say that you can't live if you don't learn how to breath. It's what I would call the beauty of life, that the simplest things give us the most advantage. As fun as it is to impress others with your amazing advancements and stun them with how much you think you know, when you don't understand the basics everything else is, as a good friend once told me, colored bubbles. People work the same way. You can know someone's favorite place to eat, you can know someone's favorite color, you can know someone's hobbies, you can know someone's talents, but until you know why, you've got nothing but a bunch of words strung together to make a mural without a brush. Remember that basics are always the most important. Until you know the basics of others, the basics of yourself, and the basics of love, you will never know eternity. Forever loved will become a fantasy. And that is my basic philosophy in a tea cup.

No comments: